Welcome!

O hey! Welcome to my travel blog, 'Cara's Up, Up and Away!' One of my great loves in life is travel. In my blog, I will write about my adventures here, there and everywhere! 'Up, up and away' is my Dad's favourite saying. He excitedly shouts this out any time a trip is imminent. It is a phrase that I always associate with happy memories so it is very appropriate to name this blog after Dad's catchphrase.

I hope you enjoy my blog.

Cara x


Places I've Been

Sunday 20 April 2014

Khoa San Road, Bangkok.


Monks and Partiers outside Center Khao San at 6am
Khao San Road... When I read about it in the guide books and online and I imagined it to be a long street of bars and stalls selling souvenirs. When I watched 'The Hangover 2', I imagined that Khao San Road would be similar to that scene where the riot breaks out. And to be honest, that is a pretty accurate representation! It is a small street with stalls and bars, yes. But it is literally one of the craziest places I've ever been on my travels. A myriad of travellers from all over the world coming to sample the infamous madness (and street food) of Khao San Road. 
 
Top Ten Tips for Khoa San Road:
 
I'll never look at a sand bucket the same way again!
  1. Stay at D&D Inn on Khao San Road.You'll be right in the middle of the action. The rooms are basic with air conditioning and private bathrooms attached. There is a pool on the roof and a restaurant serving continental breakfast in the morning.
  2. Veer off onto Susie Walking Street for some really good restaurants serving cuisine from all around the world.
  3. Drink from a sand bucket... Cast away those memories of making sandcastles on the beach back home. In Thailand, a sand bucket should be filled with Sang Som.
  4. Get yourself an illuminious wrist band! Some of the slogans written on them might offend some people so maybe get rid of it before you leave Khao San Road.
  5. Stock up on Imodium! Thailand is notorious for sick tummies! There's even a Boots chemist on Khao San Road.
  6. Don't fall into the trap of getting your fortune read! Some guy tried to extort $50 out of me to tell me my fortune and when I refused he told me I was terminally ill! Not a pleasant experience!  
  7. Eat some street food! You get everything along the street from Pad Thai to fried crickets and tentacles. But if street food isn't your style, there is also a McDonald's, KFC and 7Eleven (really good toasted sandwiches!) along Khao San.
    
    Massages and Chang at 5am!
  8. "You want ping pong show?" And no, it is not a table tennis tournament like one friend thought! 
  9. Get yourself a massage! Want a break from the madness? There are plenty of places along Khoa San that offer massages. We got one at 5am while we sipped on bottles of Chang.
  10. People watch at Center Khao San Road. This bar has a large seating area on the street and opens 24 hours. It really the best place to observe the weird and the wonderful of Khao San Road.

     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment